Stockpile Dust Control Solutions
Stockpiles are a core necessity within the mining, civil and infrastructure sectors; recognised as a large pile of accumulated stock placed in reserve such as topsoil, or waste deposits such as invaluable rock particles.
Due to the potential width, height and erosion of these piles, site management are subject to stringent protocols and procedures that must be implemented to protect employees, contractors and the wider community. Enabling stockpile and waste management systems will ensure that all risk contingencies are managed correctly.
Traditional dust control methods for stockpiles are more comfortable and relied upon options for most companies. A common older process involves the frequent dispersion of water onto dust prone area’s such as stockpiles to help weigh down the substrate matter and prevent the impacts of wind and rain erosion. While traditional dust suppression solutions are the preferred technique, they are short-lived, not entirely practical and continue to use high levels of water resources every year. This method also invites the potential for pollution and contamination, along with environmental impacts, safety concerns, labour, operations and equipment costs.
As market leaders in the environmental sector, it is our responsibility to educate companies on alternative environmental solutions that provide increased safety and improved ecological practices. At Spray Grass Australia (SGA), we continue to work with our clients to deliver optimal results in dust suppression, erosion control and revegetation. We are with them throughout the entire process by ensuring that liabilities and compliances are up-to-date.
Fugitive dust onsite is one of the biggest problems that our clients experience. Stockpiles are a significant contributor to this issue; therefore, management procedures such as dust suppression needs to be in place to reduce the following five problems from occurring:
• Height and Structure: Stockpiles have the potential to reach extreme heights and widths, which can create difficulties for traditional water systems to provide full protection and coverage. As a result, company reserves such as topsoil can displace and move off-site, becoming an expensive process to replace.
• Wind Erosion Pollution: Wind has the potential to move unsecured substrate particles hundreds of metres away from the original location, posing threats to local communities and possibly triggering hazardous levels of dust within the air which can create major health and safety concerns.
• Rain Erosion Contamination: Stockpiles of bulk minerals such as soil, sand, gravel, coal, limestone, fly-ash and ores are a potential source of pollution due to water run-off caused from rain contributing to the contamination of groundwater, soil and local water systems.
• Ecosystem Impact: When sediment from stockpiles are moved by wind or rain they can reach and settle within nearby water systems, such as creeks and rivers; This process will enable waterbeds to become shallow, resulting in the smothering of animals and native plants.
• Nutrient Loss: Movement of stockpile material such as topsoil from wind and rain will likely wash nutrients and active botanicals out of the soil, leaving it lifeless. Without these key elements, any revegetation efforts using this soil will likely result in minimal to no vegetation growth.
Once these issues become existent, the impacts can be irreversible. It is essential to ensure that preventative measures are in place.
SGA, in collaboration with our environmental consultants, scientists and engineers, undertook extensive research and development to formulate a suite of products to meet these environmental requirements. Our product range is safer for the environment, practical, cost-efficient and easy to employ directly onto the substrate to produce superior, longer-lasting erosion control.
Although our dust control products are designed to eliminate dust, they each have different characteristics that make them unique. The two most effective solutions for stockpiles are SuppressX or HydroBond; these are chosen based on the client’s, site condition, environment and objectives for the material.
Clients that require, a long-term dust suppression solution within an environment with low-moderate weather conditions, will be subscribed to SuppressX. Engineered for non-trafficked regions, the low concentration and water-soluble polymer formula will penetrate the substrate by binding to the fine particles and granules to form an interconnected flexible crust. This coating provides a protective skin over the substrate to provide superior dust control and erosion protection without compromising the composition of the soil or aggregate below.
HydroBond is specifically for areas requiring dust suppression for revegetation. The product is a specialist formula containing polymers and proprietary additives that respond when mixed with water to create a binder and tackier for application.
This product can be used for topsoil stockpiles or with the addition of hydroseeding or hydromulching products such as traffickers and fibres, can be implemented as a permanent erosion control solution for overburden rehabilitation.
HydroBond offers the ability to enable soils to maintain permeable, allowing for air and water infiltration. For superior technical performance, the properties of HydroBond allow for increased water retention, a decrease in nutrient leaching, enhanced growth and the promotion of faster germination of seed for revegetation.
Stockpile management, including physical security measures, is planned to be a vital focus of the continued national attention to stockpile management. SGA exists to help protect the environment and therefore recognise that there are other dust suppression areas within the mining, civil and infrastructure sector. If you would like to discuss, dust control issues and management strategies, our environmental consultants are always open to discussing potential solutions that are site-specific to your location.
Other onsite dust suppression options include:
• RoadBond: suited to exposed haul roads or transport thoroughfares. – Product Brochure here.
• FibreLoc: ideal for exposed substrates with high salinity levels and uneven terrain prone to movement.